Nikola Mirotic is the newest member of the New Orleans Pelicans, and if there’s no unexpected surprises, he’ll make his debut against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday evening. However, are you mildly curious to learn about some of the other options that General Manager Dell Demps entertained before settling on Mirotic?
Thanks to the wonderful work of Michael Scotto in Breaking down the NBA trade deadline possibilities, team-by-team, we’re privy to some of the failed proposals that included Omer Asik and a Pelicans first round pick.
- The Hawks and the Pelicans had discussions about flipping Asik and a first round draft pick for Marco Belinelli and Ersan Ilyasova. Both of the Atlanta players are on expiring deals, hence the Pelicans interest in them. Back in early January, the Hawks made it known that either player was available for a high second round draft pick.
- New Orleans offered the Dallas Mavericks a package consisting of Asik, Alexis Ajinca and the 2018 first round pick for Wesley Matthews. This deal, however, was proposed prior to the Achilles injury suffered by DeMarcus Cousins. Moreover, Dallas wasn’t happy with the idea of carrying the contracts of Asik and Ajinca past this season.
- The Pelicans proposed Asik and a first round pick for the Lakers’ Jordan Clarkson. It’s not shocking to read this deal fell through, though, because Los Angeles is aiming to clear salary in order to open up the requisite cap space to go chasing LeBron James and/or Paul George in free agency.
There were also some additional notes of interest:
- The Memphis Grizzlies are interested in moving James Ennis III for a second round pick.
- The Pelicans proposed Ajinca and a second round pick for the Lakers’ Julius Randle.
- Joe Johnson is considered to be a strong buyout candidate if he’s not moved prior to the trade deadline.
What do you think? Are you happy with the New Orleans Pelicans landing Nikola Mirotic amid these other options? Do you feel New Orleans should have patience and pounce on Joe Johnson if he gets bought out after February 8th?