According to reports from ESPN about today's meeting between Dell Demps and Chris Paul, the Hornets have moved towards seting a deadline -- December 25th, or the start of the season -- by which they'd need Paul to agree to an extension in New Orleans. Failing that, the team has informed him they'll likely be trading him.
A quick summary of teams that have talked with the Hornets and possible key pieces in return:
- Clippers: Eric Gordon (off limits unless Paul extends in L.A.), Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu, Minnesota 2012 1st round draft pick
- Magic: Ryan Anderson, Brandon Bass
- Mavericks: Rodrigue Beaubois, Ian Mahinmi
- Hawks: Al Horford? Josh Smith
- Houston: Two 2012 1st round picks
- Warriors: Steph Curry, Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson
- Celtics: Rajon Rondo
- Lakers: Bynum
- Knicks: one of those snowglobe things with a touristy NYC destination inside of it (a $12 value!)
A quick summary of our options if we keep Paul through the 2011-2012 season:
- Re-sign David West, Carl Landry, a midlevel player (this will not be Glen Davis, Jamal Crawford, Jason Richardson, Nick Young, Marcus Thornton, etc) and play out the year
- Sign just David West or Carl Landry, and a midlevel player (this will not be anybody listed in the above parentheses)
- Something else (specify in the comments)
Consider this an open thread to discuss if moving Paul is the right move for the future of the franchise.